9.08.2011

Wildfires

I mentioned in my last post about the wildfires in our county right now. Actually, they're all over Texas, but the one we're focused on is the massive one in Cass County that continues to grow daily and has not been contained so far. It began this past weekend and has grown by thousands of acres every day. I haven't heard an acreage report today, but as of last night, there were 42,000 acres on fire. So far, Hughes Springs isn't in any imminent danger, but if the fire jumps the one major highway between here and where it is, it will head straight for us. I tell you all of this to ask you to PRAY! I'm not even praying for rain, honestly. I am praying that my God, the God of miracles, the God who can speak and the storms will calm, will perform a miracle and put these fires out! I know He did not start them, and I believe it grieves Him to see so many people hurting and in danger. I'm praying that He will act and He will receive all of the glory! If it rains, people will blame the rain for quenching the fires. But, if the fires just cease to exist, they will know there is a God who is so much bigger than ALL of our problems! Will you please pray with me?

Driving out of Hughes Springs headed toward Avinger (next town over) - might look like clouds to some, but that is all smoke

 In Avinger, TX...this is the highway (155) that divides us from the fires

 Heading towards Jefferson, TX

 Daniel and I were speechless (takes a lot to get us both where we aren't talking!) when we were driving into this


Hughes Springs Volunteer Firefighters working outside of Jefferson, TX



"By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, and by the breath of his mouth all their host. He gathers the waters of the sea as a heap; he puts the deeps in storehouses. Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him! For he spoke, and it came to be; he commanded, and it stood firm. The Lord brings the counsel of the nations to nothing; he frustrates the plans of the peoples. The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the plans of his heart to all generations. Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people whom he has chosen as his heritage!" Psalm 33:6-12

"Our soul waits for the Lord; he is our help and our shield. For our heart is glad in him, because we trust in his holy name. Let your steadfast love, O Lord, be upon us, even as we hope in you." Psalm 33:20-22

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Laura, I'd heard some about the fires but had no idea they were so close to you guys. Praying that God receives all the glory for what He's going to do! I love your perspective on this.

    ReplyDelete