1.27.2010

Update on the Little Man

Last Wednesday, on Riley's 6-month birthday, we began feeding him vegetables. We started with carrots, and as you can tell from the picture, he wasn't too fond of them! (Sorry for the poor photography skills...it's a bit difficult to feed with the right hand and take a picture with the left!)

The doctor suggested we stick with one veggie for a few days to see if any allergies appeared, so we trudged through the carrots. When I pulled out the green peas on day 4, you would have thought I hung the moon in Riley's opinion! He really enjoyed the peas, but as with the carrots, he only ate about 1/3 of the jar each day. The doctor said he would start small and build up to a whole jar, so I wasn't concerned. And then there was sweet potatoes...

I think the picture says it all, but he LOVED them! He ate the entire jar yesterday and today! Unfortunately, we only had 2 jars of sweet potatoes, so tomorrow we'll be trying another new veggie...either green beans or butternut squash.

I mentioned to Riley's pediatrician at our visit last week that I was a little concerned about his eyes. I've noticed recently that it looks like his left eye is turning in more than it should (you may even notice it in the picture above). He suggested we take Riley to an eye doctor and get it checked out just to be sure there wasn't a problem. Thankfully, the dr. said his eyes look great! He told us that babies have a wider space between their eyes than adults do, so sometimes it looks as though their eyes are crossing or one may be a little lazy. It's really just an illusion because of the extra skin. He did several tests to be sure Riley's sight was okay, and he said he looked great! We were so thankful for a good report! I don't know if you can tell it in the picture above, but they dilated Riley's eyes and his pupils were SO big! Poor guy kept rubbing his eyes and looking around like, "what is going on?!" Needless to say, we're looking forward to next week when there are NO doctor's visits planned!

He is still a great eater! In fact, he showed me this morning that he doesn't need me...he can eat on his own! :) Okay, so maybe he dropped his bottle right after this picture was taken, but he does have an incredible grip (he held it with one hand for several seconds)! Can you tell I'm just a little proud of our son?! Well, I guess that's enough bragging for now. It's late and I've got to get up early in the morning! If you remember, please pray for us as we travel this weekend to what could potentially be our new home and church! Many blessings to all of you!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Laura... I just love it. I believe Riley is one of the most expressive babies I've ever seen! I've gotta show Kelli this tomorrow! She'll love it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could only get Miles to eat the carrots if I added cinnamon to them- might be worth a try!

    Mandi

    ReplyDelete