9.15.2013

#921 - Preaching

Preacher-in-training

Last week a friend posted a link on Facebook to an article about the importance of all ages being involved in corporate worship. If you haven't read the article, I encourage you to here. As with anything, there are differing sides regarding this issue, but I can share with you the experience we've had so far with our son attending "big church" with us since July. In our church, the nursery only goes through the age of 3, so once a child turns 4, they begin to sit with their parents in the worship service. I'll be honest, I was a bit nervous about this transition with Riley, but it's become such a blessing for both Daniel and me. Not only do we get to talk with him about the different aspects of worship (baptism, singing, prayer, preaching, fellowship, etc), but we get to watch as he carries things he learned on Sunday morning into the rest of the week.

This past Thursday night Daniel had a meeting, so it was just me and the kiddos at home. As I was washing dishes I heard Riley talking. That in itself is not surprising - little man talks A LOT! :) But, I could tell this was different than his "normal" talking while he played. It was as if God then said, "Stop washing dishes right now, or you're going to miss a blessing!" I don't always obey immediately, but this time I did, and I'm thankful. This is what I walked in to find...


So maybe the theology is off just a little, but how can you not smile at that! If you're wondering why he turns around when referring to a chapter and verse it's because that's what his daddy does a lot of times during his sermon (checking to be sure it's up on the big screen so people can read along). Kids notice everything, y'all!!

And then, it was sister's turn... :)

My opinion regarding female preachers is neither here nor there at this point...just thought I'd include little miss following in brother's footsteps :)

Riley's turn again!

He then decided it was time to sing. I caught him on the tail end of it, but then Ella joined in, too!

It totally made my night to watch my kids "play" in this way. I have absolutely no clue what Riley will do when he "grows up." I know the One who does know, though! Daniel and I have both said we would never assume anything on any of our children. We will support them in whatever they do - our prayer is that they will seek the Lord and be obedient to His call, not what others think their future should look like. With that said, it would not surprise me one bit if the Lord uses Riley in some way to publicly proclaim His truth! Oh, I pray it may be so!

I want to share one last story before leaving you with a final video that is sure to make you laugh. Last Sunday during the invitation, Daniel challenged all those present to come to the altar and lay their family's before the Lord. His sermon was about God fighting for us, and he asked us to allow the Lord to fight for our families. So, Riley and I joined Daniel at the altar to kneel down and pray. When Daniel finished praying for our family, Riley looked up and said, "Can I pray?" And so he did - a very precious prayer, in fact. Fast forward to this morning. During the invitation one of the young moms I'm discipling (whose sister is on her death bed) came down to Daniel to ask for prayer. I felt like I needed to go kneel down with them, so I leaned down and told Riley I'd be right back. When I opened my eyes after the prayer, I saw Riley right beside Daniel face down on the altar steps. He then asked again if he could pray. I'm sorry, but this is not something he would learn in children's church! Children learn by example, and who better to teach them than their own parents!

So, today I'm thankful for the opportunity to have our sweet 4-year-old son sitting in between us each Sunday.

And as promised, here's the video! I affectionately named this boy, Brother Whitlow. Oh, I love our hilarious son!

No comments:

Post a Comment