2.16.2009

Sneezing, Sneakers, and Suitcases

What a weekend! You may think that would be said in a good way since it was Valentine's day and all, but it was a pretty rough few days for this pregnant lady. All three professors I work for were sick last week and the plague fell on me Thursday afternoon. I had to work Friday because I can't afford to use sick days (unpaid maternity leave = save up sick days), but Saturday and Sunday were spent as a vegetable on the couch. If I thought colds were miserable pre-pregnancy, I am even more convinced now that there's very little I can take to relieve the symptoms. Regular strength tylenol, cough drops, and a 200-count box of kleenex have been my companions over the past few days. Until...my husband came home after church yesterday with a Neti Pot. Have you ever heard of or used such a contraption?! I was so desperate for some relief that I was willing to give it a try, but it feels so weird! You pour the saline solution in one nostril and it comes out the other. For all of my visual friends out there, feast on that mental picture for a few seconds! :) I "cleansed" twice yesterday, but am still feeling yucky and congested today. How many times do I have to "cleanse" before it all goes away?!

In spite of wanting to die on Saturday (okay, I can be a bit dramatic at times!), my husband still managed to surprise me with a Valentine's gift. It required my getting in the car and riding to an unknown location, but I am all about surprises and was ready to get out of the germ-infested house for a little while. After him taking alternative routes so I would have no clue where we were going, we landed in front of a Famous Footwear. Now, I realize this doesn't sound very romantic, but you need to understand the history behind it all. I have been telling Daniel for months that I needed new tennis shoes. I've started walking more and am trying to prepare for walking in the Crescent City Classic in April. The last time I got new walking shoes was 2 1/2 years ago. Most people understand that the life of a sneaker is between 6 months and a year, depending on how often you use them. My husband, on the other hand, thinks a shoe lasts until there are holes in the sole and your toe is poking out of the top. :) So, when I realized we had come to Famous Footwear to pick out a new pair of tennis shoes for me, I was elated!! It was a wonderful, thoughtful surprise coming from Daniel Bramlett. So here's a picture of my new kicks. Not at all what I went into the store looking for, but they fit the best and provided the best arch support (I have high arches, in case you were wondering). I'm not a huge hot pink fan, but as my friend reminded me last night, it's not about the look of the shoe...it's all about the way it feels. Now if I can just get to feeling better so I can try them out!

Well, the packing has begun! We don't have any boxes to pack in, yet, but when Daniel realized (last night at about 9:00 pm) how many suitcases and tote bags we had, he went to work! When he gets something in his mind, he's like a well-oiled machine. He packed all of our books (and we have a ton!) last night, most of our movies, and other stuff he saw sitting out that he chose to cram into one of the bags.

Here he is working hard

This was taken early on in the packing frenzy. The pile is twice this large now!

I'm so thankful for my hard-working husband! At this rate, we'll be moved into Lipsey by Wednesday! :)

2 comments:

  1. I know the plague well...it's traveling around Texas! As I type, I too am afflicted with said illness.

    The neti pot is the nastiest contraption when you sit and think about it, but my husband swears by it! ; )

    I hope you get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear what you guys get accomplished tonight. Laura's assignment....closet organization! :-)

    ReplyDelete