11.21.2010

16 Months

This 'little' guy turned 16 months yesterday. How is it possible that it's been that long since he left my belly and entered the world?! As we all know, children change and grow every day, so I wanted to share some of Riley's latest...

1. I am amazed by all the words he can say! As a friend described it the other day, it's like a switch gets flipped and all of a sudden they're repeating everything you say. Here are some of his most common words: dada, mama, ya ya, happy/be happy, car, shoe, cracker, that, book, turkey, amen (he says this when we finish praying...absolutely adorable!), milk, more, Jesus, mwah (does this when I ask for a kiss).

2. He is SO observant! Sometimes this is a really good thing, and other times it can cause trouble. For instance, when I'm wanting some sort of dessert after a meal and he sees me get it, he of course wants some. I then don't give him any and must try to divert his attention if I don't want a fit to ensue.

3. His favorite toy right now is shoes...his shoes, my shoes, daddy's shoes, even our guests shoes :) Some friends came over the other night and the little girl was wearing flip-flops. The minute she took them off, he grabbed them and began walking all over the house. I think it freaked her out a little.

4. He understands so much more than I ever realized possible at this age. The other day we were outside picking up pecans off the church grounds (there's a pecan tree just on the other side of our privacy fence - nice!), and I said, "come on, let's go see daddy in the office." At first he thought that was my way of saying we had to go home, so he started whining and walking the opposite direction (he HATES going home when we're outside having fun). I realized what he thought, so I said, "no, Riley, Daddy's in his office at the church. Let's walk over there and see him." Once I said that, he immediately quit whining and began walking toward the church. I was amazed!

5. We're going through some MAJOR separation anxiety! I've been told by many people that this too shall pass, but it's been going on for about 4 months now and I'm beginning to wonder when the 'passing' will come! :)

6. He LOVES any type of vehicle. You think this makes his daddy just a little happy?! Yesterday I bought him 2 new sippy cups at Target, and I purposely got the ones with cars and trucks on them. This morning I was washing one of them so he could use it, and when he saw it (across the room while sitting in his high chair eating breakfast), he started saying, "cars, cars, cars, cars!" He then drank an entire cup of water (after just having a cup of milk) because he was so excited to be using that cup! Too cute!

7. He still takes 2 naps a day (thank you, Lord!). I'm hoping this one continues for at least a little while longer. He's always been a great sleeper, and he just can't handle being up for more than about 3-4 hours at a time.

Speaking of sleep, it's been a long day and tomorrow morning is coming soon! I've learned that no matter what time I finally get myself into bed at night, he's always going to wake up around the same time each morning (between 6:30 and 7)! Hope you enjoyed the Riley update! Daniel and I are so thankful for our sweet boy. What a joy he is, and what a blessing it is to partner with the Lord in raising one of His creations!

No comments:

Post a Comment