11.24.2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

We're heading out for Hope, AR in about an hour, but before we left I wanted to share a quote with you. Every week Daniel writes a short article in our church newsletter. Here's an excerpt from this week's article...

"...as I read through the Bible looking for the word "thanks," I never came across any instance of people thanking God for their stuff. This really surprised me! I at least expected a few to thank God for houses or land...something. Instead what you see is people praising God (i.e. thanking Him) for who He is, thanking Him for what He has done in their lives, and overflowing thanks for His grace in saving them. In other words, life with God took precedence over every other instance of thanks in the Bible."

He also talked about this exact thing this past Sunday in his sermon, so I've been thinking about it a lot since then. How often do I thank God for things?! "Thank you, God, for my house, my car, the food in our house, etc." I can guarantee you that I pray these prayers of thanksgiving much more often than, "Thank you, God, for the ways you are changing me. Thank you for your grace and all-sufficient love. Thank you for saving me!" I challenge you this Thanksgiving and all throughout the year (for that matter) to focus more on what God has done for you than what God has given you. I think this change of focus will cause us all to be even MORE thankful!

I hope you all enjoy your families and friends this week! Oh, and be sure to eat plenty of turkey, dressing, and pumpkin pie! I know we will! :)

"Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever."
Psalm 136:1

No comments:

Post a Comment